Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Postaday 2011 catchup topics 1-12


I thought I'd give this post a day thing a try. Since I currently have time on my hands I'm going to go through the first 12 topics today and be all caught up (uh huh.... funsies!). And this creative writing outlet blog that isn't used very much will become a narcissistic spot. Or hopefully the same fusion of the best of both worlds that it began as. Time will tell.

Okay. Here we go.

Topic #1: List 3 countries you want to visit and why.

1. Mexico. My sister-in-law is getting married there and the more I read about where we'll be, the more I want to go.
2. Morocco. Every year the Festival in the Desert is held on my birthday. If I ever have a spare $10,000 kicking around I'm definitely going to ch
eck out the festival. Happy Birthday Jen!
3. Scandanavia. I know it's a region and not a country, but I would like to see all of it. My ancestors are from Scandanavia and the region's mythology fascinates me.

Topic #2:
Name someone who deserves more credit than they get. And for bonus points, how to change things so they get more.

Anyone who works in the customer service industry, particularly in restaurants or retail. I think our society should make tipping less of a mandatory social courtesy and bring it back to being all about receiving exceptional service. If the service sucks, don't leave a tip. I've provided rotten service and not been tipped before. I've also provided better than average servic
e and gone home with a pocket full of bills. I think this is fair. If I forget your order or ignore your table, you shouldn't have to leave me anything. But if I go out of my way to make sure that everything is perfect, that should be appreciated, whether it's making you a latte or helping you find the perfect knife. Why don't we tip the nice folks who sell us stuff? If I walk into a store feeling helpless and hopeless and someone actually helps me find something I feel I need, I should be able to leave a tip out of gratitude. Or come back and leave a box of chocolates or tray of cookies. Why doesn't the world work like that?

Topic #3:
What’s the single most important thing you accomplished in 2010?

Me, me, me. Why is this all about me? Do you
even care that much?

My single biggest accomplishment is probably surviving and thriving. Period but also in various aspects of my life. I think I'm progressing well in my dance class and finally starting to fit in (instead of feeling
like I'm constantly trying to catch up). I think I've done well to survive my intense year of school. I'm surviving changes in the lives of those around me who matter the most, and learning how to gently start to let go. I feel like 2010 was a major step in the right direction... but in a very non-specific way. I don't feel like most of what I did can be quantified but I know it's all woven together in a positive way. Positive progress. Did that even answer the question?

Topic #4: Share something that makes you smile
.
My husband dressed up for Hallowe'en.

Topic #5: Do you prefer to talk, text message or use a different form of communication?

I like face to face and letter writing. I think text messaging mostly sucks and causes me to walk into things/people. I'm not fond of the telephone.

Topic #6: Are you stressed now? Why or why not?

I'm not stressed but I am hungry. I can fix that with some food. I might be a little stressed actually because I haven't heard back from the peeps at the college about my 2nd prefinal assessment and I'd really like to write my exam and just be done with it. I'm trying to exercise patience though....

Topic #7: Share a story about a memorable job interview.

Most of my job interviews that are memorable are so because they sucked horridly. My favourite was the interview I had with Jeff Rogers at Sobeys. J-Ro put me at ease immediately and when he said he was having fun talking with me and that we had stuff in common, I believed him. (Others have tried that line - I feel like I'm interviewing for my new best friend, we have so much in common... but so insincere!) That was one of the best jobs I ever had and I have to say, I loved working with J-Ro. If we ever live in the same city again I'd look for part time work wherever he's working just because he's an awesome person.

Topic #8: How do you stay focused on a task or activity?

I make sure I have time and I make sure I have nothing better to do, particularly if the activity is dreary or dull. If it's truly awful (like memorization studying) I try to recruit a friend to help out with flash cards. I generally don't have trouble staying focused. I'm also very good at shutting out whatever's going on around me - I don't get distracted easily. Anyone who's ever tried to call to me across a crowded room knows that.

Topic #9: Describe a recent "Aha!" moment and what sparked it.

Ummmm..... I have no idea. Maybe when I finally figured out that I want to have a drumming circle for my birthday, a thought which came to me while writing a letter to an awesome person. Let's go with that.

Topic # 10: How do you stay entertained when you are snowed in?

I have a sewing machine and a giant mound of fabric. I have a computer and the internet. I like movies. There's always something to clean/fix in the house and I usually have the supplies on hand. There are letters to write and canvasses to paint. I have 2 drums and a violin. I also have several dance costumes in progress which are full of tedious hand beading/hand sewing work. I have some really good books to read. I like taking baths. I love baking and cooking. I'm happy to spend hours on the internet researching a potential future destination, usually somewhere warm. I also love fooling around with my husband.

Topic # 11: What do you want to be remembered for?

That's easy: being a positive force in someone's life.

Topic # 12: Write about one thing you've never told anyone and explain why.

This will be trickier because there is very little I've never told anyone. I think I'm going to get myself some food and think it over.

Brb.

I'm assuming this has to be about me. There are many things I know about others that I've never shared, and never plan to share.

I have an intense, almost constant fish craving. I mostly stopped eating fish when I found out how deathly allergic my husband is to it. I don't want to give him the kiss of death, or touch him and give him a rash. We are finding ways around this, but I don't want to have fish in the house because I am that cautious. I don't talk about how much I miss fish because I know I'd miss my husband more than I'd ever miss eating fish. I also tend not to talk about it because in spite of his allergy, my husband really loves fish. I don't like the idea of making him envious over something he has no control about. I used to eat sushi several times a week. I miss that the most. It is hard to find good sushi in Saskatoon, and it usually costs an arm and a leg or is far from home. If I ever go anywhere without my husband, the entire trip is usually planned around where to get sushi or other fish. I'm the person who would buy a jar of pickled herring to take on a bus with me and eat the entire thing before reaching my destination.



No comments: