Monday, March 20, 2006

mail order bride

Plant me a rose in your garden
so I can see it growing when I arrive

Roses can be fickle
care for it
as I know you care for me

It won't be long until I pack everything in boxes and
step onto that airplane

step on
step on

and at the count of 30
(she's a big and full bird)
we will take to the sky

Via some whitebread westcoast or mid-pacific American airport
all the signs in English
same selection of bad chocolate bars and newspapers
all over the world.

Funny that.

Globalization a culture of consumerism.
Don't tell me that is all we have in common with everyone on earth.

Don't tell me

I wanted to believe it was love or divinity
but we consume those too
rabidly

Plant a rose for me in your garden so that I can consume it
photograph it
write poetry about it
clip it for the dinner table
dry and crush the rosehips in the fall for
baths
poultices
tea

Plant a rose for me
grow it with your love
let it be an offering to
appease me

something to gaze at
when reality

isn't

something to be calm with when I realize
again

That I am lost in your/my culture
that I have become a citizen of the world

a closet pacifist
militantly against
rabid consumerism

I miss you.
I love you.

No comments: