Wednesday, April 03, 2013

An open letter submitted to the manufacturers of my favourite and also most loathed pads.

Hi,
The packaging on Always Infinity pads makes me sad. I don't have any female friends who can finish my sentences. Also, this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with me having a period. Also, as someone who has the worst menstrual cramps ever from severe endometriosis, I would like to punch whoever came up with the slogan "have a happy period." My periods aren't happy. Never have been, probably never will be. I would greatly appreciate it if the best disposable pads of all time (which Always Infinity are, for sure) didn't remind me that once a month I will want to curl into a ball and die for about a week. This slogan also felt particularly insulting for the 4 years I spent in between endometriosis surgeries until I was *finally* able to conceive and give birth to my son. My periods weren't happy then. They were constant reminders that my body had somehow failed me in a way that was mostly beyond my control. And please don't even get me started on how I felt having to use pads when I had my miscarriage. (That was before my son. He is alive and well.)

But don't let this all be criticism. What kind of ad campaign would I like to see? Something that acknowledges the strength and raw power of a creature that bleeds for a whole week, once a month, yet strangely doesn't die. In spite of my previous troubles, my body, and the bodies of other women, are completely over-the-top AMAZING.

Please honour that and stop making me feel shame, sorrow, hurt, and rage for not living up to your ideal of a "happy period." Please make your slogan as awesome as your product.

Thanks,
Jen

No comments: