Saturday, February 05, 2011

Growed-ups

I woke up this morning with a wonderful memory. I don't know how old I was, but the answer is not very. It was in the late 80s, I know that much. I was hanging out with my best friend, Joanne. I'm going to guess that it was either a rainy day or a snowy day because we were inside at her house, not outdoors. We were sitting at the kitchen table with her mum, on the bench seat. I have no idea what colour the bench seat was. Maybe yellow? Or maybe it was before yellow. I think there was a time before the kitchen was yellow, wasn't there? Either way, we were eating Joanne's mum's homemade gingersnaps and to my great delight, Mrs. Humphrey was letting us dip our cookies in her tea. This was also the day that I learned what tea was - nobody in my family really drank tea when I was growing up. I'd never seen it before.

Last night I made my own gingersnaps for the first time, and that memory came back to me. It was a thoroughly pleasant experience. My cookies don't look or taste like Joanne's mum's cookies, but the basic idea is the same.

The purpose of this message is to thank some people - specifically the growed-ups who had an influence on who I've grown up to be. Thanks, Jan and Terry Humphrey, for letting me do some of my growing up at your house, and for showing me another example of what marriage and family could look like. I appreciate it.

No comments: