Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Food Storage - 3 days

This idea is based on something I found on Pintrest, which is, succinctly, as follows:

In the event of a catastrophe, it takes the average person's brain 3 days to figure out the gravity of the situation - in other words, in a situation like Hurricane Katrina, people's brains are traumatized en masse for an average of 3 days and nobody can think straight.

3-day food storage meal planning is based on this knowledge - for the first 3 days of a disaster, everyone will suck at things like thinking, rational decision making, and survival.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could have 3 days of boxes with food in them that goes well together to make a healthy meal that you don't have to cook, think about preparing, or need water for?

What I read suggested a simple meal plan around tuna. This wouldn't work at my house due to fish allergies, but I suppose we could substitute other canned meat. The Tuna Box would have about 5 cans of tuna (I'm basing this on our family - 2 adults and soon 1 baby/toddler), a jar of relish, jar of mayonnaise (we don't like store-bought mayo so maybe we could substitute salad dressing), a box or 2 of whole wheat crackers, a big can of fruit (or 2), and an individual sandwich baggie of trail mix for each person.

I think the challenge for us would be getting dairy... although I guess if we had powdered cheese we could always mix it with the aforementioned salad dressing... it would probably also mix well with canned hummus.

The challenge is to come up with 3 days of meal boxes, then fill them, label with a use by date, and every 6 months or so, eat what's in the box (the day after buying replacement food!). Having to actually eat your 3 day boxes twice a year will also serve as a good learning tool - what works? What doesn't?

I would enjoy a meal of canned meat, salsa (or canned stewed tomatoes), bagel chips (see, I'm diversifying! And they could be cheesy bagel chips! I rule!), a can of fruit (different fruit than the day before), and a snack of rice cakes with peanut butter and jam.

The last day could be a few cans of homemade hummus (I'm sure it can be done), pita chips, a can or 3 of a vegetable that doesn't suck when it's cold - maybe corn, another can of a different fruit, and for a snack maybe some... crackers made out of nuts with either jam or nutella (which is made with milk).



Another protein idea would be pickled eggs. My husband doesn't like them, but I'd be happy with them...

What are your 3 day food box ideas?

No comments: